created by Steve Lohman
Brains in Action. The Scientist Staff, The Scientist, Feb 1, 2014.
Excimer laser opens windows for in-vivo microscopy. Tim Hayes, Optics.org, Dec 16, 2013.
Top 10 Innovations 2013. The Scientist Staff, The Scientist, Dec 1, 2013.
Visualize this: Automated UV laser microsurgery simplifies microscopy and neurophysiology experiments in live animals. Stuart Mason Dambrot, Medical Express, Nov 29, 2013.
Zap! Lasers blast tiny holes in heads of flies to expose brains. NBC News: Charles Choi, LiveScience, Nov 1, 2013.
Lasers Zap Heads of Flies to Expose Brains. Charles Choi, LiveScience, Nov 1, 2013.
Mysterious Brain Circuitry Becomes Viewable. Robert Lee Hotz, The Wall Street Journal, April 22, 2013.
Mapping The Brain Onto The Mind. Lauren K. Wolf, Chemical & Engineering News, April 21, 2013.
President Obama's new $100 million brain research initiative taps several Stanford scientists. Bjorn Carey, Stanford Report, April 2, 2013.
Stanford Researchers Develop Tool for Reading the Minds of Mice. Bjorn Carey, Stanford Institute for Neuro-Innovation and Translational Neurosciences Newsletter, Issue 9, March, 2013.
Stanford scientists capture mouse memories. Peter Fimrite, SFGate, March 17, 2013.
Researchers develop way to read minds of mice. Jonathan Bloom, ABC7 News, Feb 28, 2013.
Mini microscopes see inside the brains of mice. John Roach, NBC News, Feb 20, 2013.
Optical Recording of Maps in the Hippocampus. Corona Radiata Blog, Feb 19, 2013.
The View From Here. HHMI Bulletin, Fall (Vol. 25, No.), 2012.
Rendering the brain-behavior link visible. Nature Methods, Sept 27, 2012.
Seeing Into the Brain with a Miniature Fluorescence Microscope (Science Up Front). Encyclopaedia Britannica Blog, Oct 21, 2011.
The author file: Abbas El Gamal and Mark Schnitzer. Nature Methods, Sept 29, 2011.
Next Generation: All-In-One In Vivo Scope. The Scientist, Sept 16, 2011.
Fingertip-size microscope has huge potential for studying the brain and its diseases, say Stanford researchers. Stanford Report, Sept 16, 2011.
Microscópios capturam neurônios em ação. Scientific American Brazil, Sept 14, 2011.
Fingertip Microscope Can Peek Inside a Moving Animal. Technology Review, Sept 13, 2011.
An optical illusion called 'reverse-phi motion' helps explain how we view moving objects, Stanford scientists find. Stanford Report, Sept 12, 2011.
Microscope 'hats' peer inside mice brains. MSNBC, Sept 12, 2011.
Scientists Develop Miniaturized Fluorescence Microscope. GEN News, Sept 12, 2011.
Tragbares Mikroskop für den Mäusekopf. Spektrumdirekt, Sept 12, 2011.
Miniature microscopes capture neurons in action. Nature News, Sept 11, 2011. See accompanying Photo.
Keck Futures Initiative Awards $1 Million for 13 Research Projects. News from the National Academies, Aug 22, 2011.
Mouse Cam: Tracking Techniques Offer a Long-Term View into the Mouse Brain. HHMI Bulletin, May 2011.
Brain blueprint: New imaging technique reveals long-term cellular changes within the deep brain. Nature Medicine Podcast, Feb 4, 2011.
A time-Lapse Movie Shot Inside the Brain. Technology Review, Jan 26, 2011.
Journey to the Center of the Brain. Gazeta Wyborcza, Jan 19, 2011.
NIH-funded study uses new technology to peek deep into the brain. NIDA Notes, Jan 18, 2011.
New Technique to See Neurons of the Deep Brain for Months at a Time. Science Daily, Jan 17, 2011.
New technique to visualize neurons of the deep brain for months at a time developed by Stanford researchers. Stanford Report, Jan 14, 2011.
First Allen Distinguished Investigators Named. The Paul G. Allen Family Foundation, Nov 18, 2010.
Paul Allen grants go where few have gone before. The Seattle Times, Nov 18, 2010.
Toward reconstructing spike trains from large-scale calcium imaging data. HFSP Journal, Jan 22, 2010.
Research Highlights: MEMS microscope images brains. Nature Photonics, Volume 3. Oct. 2009.
Electrophysiology in the age of light. Nature, Volume 461, Number 7266. Oct. 2009.
Massively Parallel Brain Imaging. Neuroscience Methods, Science, Volume 326, Number 5951. Oct 16, 2009.
Getting inside their minds, Nature Methods Technology Feature. Volume 6, Number 10, Oct, 2009.
Automated ROI analysis for calcium imaging, Brain Windows blog: brainwindows.wordpress.com, Oct 2, 2009.
Tiniest two-photon MEMS microscope performs brain imaging,
Laser Focus World, Aug 1, 2009.
Optical Technologies Expand Vistas Into the Brain,
NIDA Notes. Volume 22, Number 1, Innovations. 2009
News and Views,
Nature Methods 5, 925-926, 2008.
New Way to Study How Muscles Work, The New York Times, July 15, 2008.
First view inside muscle fibers, The Boston Globe ,
July 7, 2008.
Schnitzer named Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
grant funds brain-imaging effort, Stanford Report Feb. 2008.
minds think alike - for good of mankind, USA Today, Oct. 2007.
News Interview, Oct. 2007.
Science's Sixth Annual 'Brilliant Ten' , Oct. 2007.
NIH Director's Pioneer Award, Sept. 2007.
Two professors win $2.5 million Pioneer Awards. Sept.
Life Science Technologies: Cell Signaling - In Vivo
Veritas. Science 22 June 2007.
device facilitates microendoscopy. in Biophotonics International 2006.
aids brain imaging. Laser Focus World 2005.
microscope offers view deep into living tissue. Stanford Report,
September 14, 2005.
allows biomedical researchers to observe tissue deep inside
live subjects. Physorg.com September 13, 2005.
Looking Deeper: New
technique allows for deep brain imaging. RT Image Vol. 18, no. 44 -
October 31, 2005.
microscope peers into mice brains. New Scientist 15:32 20 September
imaging in the palm of your hand. American Institute of Physics
used in microendoscope. Biophotonics International 2004.
A Wish List for
Learning About Learning. Science Vol. 300 April 2003.
Single Neuron Spied.
Scientific American 2003.
The 100 Bold Young
Innovators You Need to Know. Technology Review Oct 2003.
Awards to Lab Members:
- Jerome Lecoq awarded Stanford Vision Trainee, 2013.
- Margaret Carr awarded Helen Hay Whitney Fellowship, 2013.
- Oleg Rumyantsev awarded Stanford Graduate Fellowship, 2012.
- Seung Je Woo awarded Samsung Fellowship, 2012.
- Lacey Kitch awarded Simons Graduate
- Lacey Kitch awarded NSF Graduate Research
- Lacey Kitch awarded Stanford Graduate Fellowship, 2012.
- Tony Hyun Kim awarded Stanford Graduate Fellowship, 2012.
- Jerome Lecoq awarded the Institut de France Prix AXA-Académie des Sciences, 2011.
- Benjamin Grewe awarded Swiss National Science Foundation Fellowship, 2011.
- Jeff Chi-Tat Law awarded Croucher Fellowship, 2011.
- Shelley Batts awarded Ruth L. Kirschstein NIH NRSA Fellowship, 2010.
- Jesse Marshall awarded Stanford Graduate Fellowship, 2010.
- Elizabeth Otto awarded Stanford Graduate Fellowship,
- Georg Dietzl awarded Austrian Academy of Science Fellowship, 2009.
- Dan-Anders Jirenhed awarded Swedish Research Council Fellowship, 2009.
- Zuzanna Piwkowska awarded Marie Curie
- Yaniv Ziv awarded Machiah Fellowship, 2008.
- Yaniv Ziv awarded Rothschild Fellowship, 2008.
- Brian Wilt awarded Stanford Bio-X Graduate
- James Fitzgerald awarded NSF Graduate Research
- Laurie Burns awarded NSF Graduate Research
- Robert Barretto, Co-Author, Best Methods Paper,
American Society of Biomechanics, 2007.
- Michael Molineux awarded Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research Fellowship,
- Laurie Burns awarded Stanford Graduate Fellowship,
- Axel Nimmerjahn awarded Feodor Lynen research
fellowship, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, 2006.
- Axel Nimmerjahn awarded International Human
Frontier Science Program fellowship, 2006.
- Axel Nimmerjahn awarded Otto Hahn-Medal, Max Planck
- Axel Nimmerjahn awarded Du Bois-Reymond Prize of
the German Physiological Society, 2006.
- Robert Barretto awarded NSF Graduate Fellow
Honorable Mention, 2005.
- Eunice Cheung awarded Dean's Fellowship, Stanford
University School of Medicine, 2005.
- Ed Boyden named Helen Hay Whitney Fellow, 2005.
- Daniel Wetmore awarded NSF Graduate Research
- Benjamin Flusberg awarded NSF Graduate Research
- Amit Mehta named Life Sciences Research Fellow, 2003.
Awards to Mark Schnitzer:
- Ellison Senior Scholar Award, 2012.
- National Academy Keck Futures Initiative Award, W.M. Keck Foundation, 2011.
- Allen Distinguished Investigator Award, Paul G. Allen Family Foundation, 2010.
- Michael & Kate Bárány Young Investigator Award, Biophysical Society, 2010.
- Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute,
- Best Techniques Paper, Co-Author, American Society
of Biomechanics, 2007 (for imaging human sarcomeres).
- W.M. Keck Foundation, Medical Research Program
- The Brilliant 10, Top ten brilliant scientists
under age 40, Nov. 2007.
- NIH Director's Pioneer Award, 2007.
- Terman Fellow, Stanford University, 2006.
- Beckman Interdisciplinary Translational Research
Program Award, 2005.
- Fellowship in Science & Engineering, David
& Lucille Packard Foundation, 2005.
- Presidential Early Career Award in Science and
Engineering (PECASE), awarded June 13, 2005 at the White House.
- Sloan Research Fellowship from the Alfred P. Sloan
- Klingenstein Fellowship in the Neurosciences, 2004.
- Young Investigator Award, Beckman Foundation, 2004.
- Young Investigator Award, Office of Naval Research,
Cognitive & Neural Division, 2004.
- Member of TR100, World's Top 100 Innovators under
age 35, Technology Review Magazine, Oct. 2003.
- Cutting Edge Basic Research Award (CEBRA), National
Institutes of Health, 2003.
- Young Investigator Award (with #1 world ranking),
Human Frontiers in Science Program, 2002.
- McKnight Technological Innovations in Neuroscience